Monday, July 27

the mysterious letters.

Okay, so how great is it to get handwritten letters in the mail? Even growing up in the 90's that didn't really happen anymore after I reached the age of about 8.
Actually, when I was younger I used to get my old shoe boxes, decorate them and stick them to my bedroom door as my own personal mail box. Marlen and Mum used to write me little notes when I'd get down from not getting any mail after having the thing stuck to my door after 3 days.
I've been getting into it a lot more recently with Jordan being gone. Since we decided to write letters more than e-mail, I've been lucky enough to receive at least 1 handwritten letter a week for the past few months. It's really an amazing feeling. Such closeness just isn't felt when receiving an e-mail that was just quickly typed up.
Though don't get me wrong, little reminders that people are thinking of you, even through facebook are always sweet.
Well, these guys decided to take it all a small/massive step further. Lenka and Michael decided to send all 467 households in the Irish village of Cushendall a personal letter or post card. The said "We hoped these unsolicited letters would prompt neighbourly discussion, spreading across the town, promoting community curiosity."
The art work consists solely of the discussion between the recipients about what on Earth these letters are, who sent them and why, etc.
What an incredibly inspiring idea!?

{click to enlarge pictures}


































I want one of these!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing idea! And I agree- getting hand-written letters in the mail is fabulous, but such a rare happening. I actually used to make mailboxes when I was a kid too. I even started a "postal service" at my school when I was in 6th grade. I made mailboxes for each classroom and then picked kids to be postmen and postwomen and we circulated notes throughout the school. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete